In 1958, sixteen psychologists collaborated to form the Essex County Society of Clinical Psychologists in Private Practice. This long title was soon abbreviated to “Triple P.”
In 1981, the organization was renamed The Essex County Psychological Association. However, membership grew to include surrounding locations, including Union, Morris, Middlesex, and Somerset Counties, requiring yet another name change to the Society of Psychologists in Private Practice (“S Triple P”).
By 2007, with the formation of regional affiliate groups throughout the state, our membership continued to draw upon psychologists primarily in the two original counties, Essex and Union. With membership expansion that now includes associate and student members, as well as those working in agencies or schools, the organization was renamed the Essex-Union County Association of Psychologists (EUCAP).